Kärnten Tourismus
Völkermarkter Ring 21 - 23, A-9020 Klagenfurt
Tel.: +43 (0)463 3000
FAX: +43 (0)463 3000-50


Klagenfurt, the capital of Carinthia, is located on the eastern shore of Lake Wörthersee. The great location on the lake, lots of greenery, a beautiful old town, all that invites you to feel comfortable here. Here is also the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt (AAU), a young lively and innovative university at the intersection of three cultures. The university is the largest academic educational institution in Carinthia and a hub for knowledge acquisition, knowledge sharing and knowledge transfer throughout the Alps-Adriatic region.



Klagenfurt has just over 97,000 inhabitants, with the majority of the population in the province of Carinthia living in the Klagenfurt basin between Klagenfurt and Villach, Carinthia's second largest city. Wolfsberg is also very much in demand as a residential area. Below you will find an excerpt of real estate agents who can help you find accommodation in Klagenfurt or the surrounding area.

An overview of limited-profit housing associations in Carinthia can be found at

Furthermore, local newspapers offer apartments and houses in their real estate sections (print version and on-line).


In recent years, childcare facilities have developed into high-quality educational institutions with the aim of supporting children in the best possible way and supporting their development.


In Carinthia, a mandatory kindergarten year for children before starting school has been introduced in 2008. The child obliged to attend kindergarten must attend kindergarten for a total of 16 hours on at least four days a week. More information on childcare in Carinthia can be found at

  • Childminder organizations

Pflege Land Kärnten


  • Schools

School attendance is compulsory for all children living permanently in Austria. Children, who have turned six years of age, have to start school in September after their sixth birthday. Compulsory school attendance in Austria lasts nine years.
The first four years children generally go to elementary school. After that comes either junior high school* or a so called “general secondary school” for another four years. Thereafter,  you either go to a “polytechnical” school for one year or move on to a general secondary school for another four or five years.  

The educational- and school system in Austria is very manifold and offers a great variety of school types (humanities, economics, technical schools, etc.). So children can receive a broad spectrum of training and education, depending on their skills and competences.


You can find important general information at Bildungsdirektion Kärnten General information on education in Austria can be found here.

  • Eucational institutions for study & general further education

In addition to the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt with almost 10,000 students, Carinthia's academic landscape is enriched by the “Fachhochschule Kärnten”, the “Pädagogische Hochschule Kärnten“ and the „Katholische Pädagogische Hochschuleinrichtung Kärnten“.


Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt

Fachhochschule Kärnten

Pädagogische Hochschuleinrichtung Kärnten

Katholische Pädagogische Hochschuleinrichtung


Beyond the universities, you will find here an access to offers of education and further education in the sense of lifelong learning.


You are planning a longer stay in Austria and would like to get information on entry, residence, and insurance? The following links will assist you in all these questions 

  • Entry and Residence

Moving to Austria means to bear in mind all the laws and regulations on visas, residence permit, and the like. Please make yourself familiar with these regulations prior to moving to Austria. For further information, click on the following links 

- Offizielle Amtshelfer in Österreich Help.gv (for "working in Austria" there is also ample Information available in English)
- OEAD - österreichische Agentur für internationale Mobilität (English)
- Wirtschaftskammer - Ausländerbeschäftigung
- USA – Bureau of consular affairs – Informationen  about Austria


There are special guidelines for international scientists and researchers.



Please click here.   


In Austria, registration is obligatory. So all Austrian citizens and guests, who intend to stay in Klagenfurt for more than three days, have to fill out a residence registration form and lodge it together with the passport at the „Amt für Statistik, Wahlen und Einwohnerwesen“(Office for Statistics, Elections and Registration). For further information, please click here.

  • Registration in Klagenfurt

The registration form is available at the registration office or can be printed out online. If you stay at a hotel or guest house, you have to register there. In case you move within Klagenfurt, you have to make notification of change of address. Before you leave Klagenfurt, you have to give notice of removal and departure.




Kumpfgasse 20

9010 Klagenfurt am Wörthersee

Österreich / Austria

+43 463 537-4030




Detailed information on working in Austria you will find under the following link (Public Employment Center). 


If you would like to have your certificate/degree and your educational qualifications evaluated or recognised you find detailed information under the following link.


In Austria, there are two types of health insurance:
- Compulsory insurance (guarantees necessary medical treatment, non-profit-oriented)
- Additional or private insurance (offers additional services, e.g. single rooms;  profit-oriented, because offered by private insurance companies


Social insurance in Austria is composed of health, pension and casualty insurance. Health insurance is compulsory, so the employed population has health insurance as long as the monthly income exceeds the marginal earnings threshold (  Unemployed and retired persons are also subject to health insurance and children are co-insured contribution-free. All the relevant information on co-insurance for family members you will find here.


However, it is not possible to freely choose a health insurance institution because the institution depends on the employer and its location. You will find all the relevant information on Austrian providers and insurance companies here.


For further information on social insurance in Austria, please visit the official website.

For general information on wage tax and personal income tax in Austria visit the
Website des Bundesministeriums für Finanzen (Federal Ministry of Finance). 
Important information on free services and tax reduction you will find

Information from Euraxess Austria about Austrian income tax for researchers.


How to open an account? 
In order to open an account in Austria you need a passport and a place of residence here – regardless of whether it is your principal or secondary residence. You just need your documents (passport, residence registration form) and show up at the bank in person – nothing else is required. Further information you will find here 


The Chamber of Labor, for instance, will give you an overview of the best possible fees and commission rates.



Kontakt & Presseanfragen

(+)43 316 380 1851